Tuesday, November 23, 2010

You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.

 20:08 - This is a project that has been on my mind for time lately.  At the ripe age of 24 years old, two years graduated from UVA Architecture and with my only real job experience being in the interior design field, this is what I would like to do in my professional architecture career; save old buildings from demolition (intentional or not) and renovate them with modern additions.  I love modern architecture and I love old architecture.  I hate all that crappy stuff in between.  When I was in high school I thought I would major in biology in college (and in the beginning I did) but also already knew I enjoyed designing.  I thought hard and asked everyone I could think of "How can you combine biology and design!?"  The best "ah ha!" idea I came up with at 18 was that I could be an animal habitat designer.  (Now I realize there are about a million possible other things I could design that had a biological flare!)  Anyways, the same thing happened to when I debated in my head whether I'd rather live in an old house or design and built myself a ridiculously modern home.  Ah ha!  Well now I can have my cake and eat it too!

Regardless, I am way off topic.  Here is the initial dump of ideas for the project, an old storefront/rowhouse building renovated into a multi-use (live-work) space.

Also the correct architectural term for what I would like to do is "adaptive reuse."  How greeeeennn of me.







 All images and designs by Megan Manion
Original Storefront model from Google Sketchup 3D Warehouse

No comments:

Post a Comment