Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Daily Charrette

21:43 -

Charrette - (noun) a final, intensive effort to finish a project, esp. an architectural design project, before a deadline.  

In fields of design such as architecture.... the term charrette may refer to an intense period of work by one person or a group of people prior to a deadline. The period of a charrette typically involves both focused and sustained effort. The word "charrette" may also be used as a verb, as in, for example, "I am charretting" or "I am on charrette [or: en charrette]," simply meaning I am working long nights, intensively toward a deadline.

An example of the charrette, the University of Virginia's School of Architecture unofficially calls the last week before the end of classes Charrette. At the final deadline time (assigned by the school), all students must put their pencils down" and stop working. Students then present their work to fellow-students and faculty in a critiqued presentation.   Thank you Wiki.



An idea came to me last night and one I plan on following through on.  A daily charrette exercise.  In the time that I spend reading interior design blogs (and subsequently finding a million things in my own home I'd like to change/improve/decorate/purchase) I could be doing something much more constructive. 
The best example found here.





The biggest thing motivating me is my desire to apply for graduate school next year (enrolling in two years), it would be great for some of these projects to develop into something more than just a 45 minute morning exercise.  Eep!  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment